In Loving Memory: Millard Fuller, Founder of Habitat for Humanity

Throughout my work with Habitat for Humanity, it has been a pleasure to get to know to Millard and his God-sized vision. It was Millard who brought us into partnership with Randy Wallace and the seeds of Hollywood for Habitat for Humanity were born. Millard and Linda's legacy includes 200,000 homes in 90 countries. I remember the first Hollywood for Habitat build in 2000 and expressing my doubt about blitz building 20 homes in a week when it had taken our affiliate 10 years to build 19 homes! Millard told me "Erin, if you have faith God will make it happen! I have seen it happen around the globe and it will happen here too." And he was right.

The most important lesson I carry with me today from Millard is that we must always remember this is God's ministry and our vision must be in line with God, not tempered only by what we can accomplish on our own. I was reminded of that lesson in June 2007 when we were a few short months away from the Jimmy Carter Work Project and thousands of volunteers descending on L.A. from around the world. The only problem was that San Pedro was still a dirt lot - and there was a lot of dirt!! I remember feeling nauseous as fear set in for the first time during the project planning. It was then that God reminded me that it was time to lean on him and remember that all things are possible through him! And the rest is history. Through the hard work of our staff and God's divine grace we made it!

There have been villages rebuilt and communities transformed as a result of Millard's vision. I am proud to have called him a friend. Let the heavens rejoice and the earth mournful be, Millard Fuller has risen to his eternal glory!

- Erin Rank, president/CEO

"I see life as both a gift and a responsibility. My responsibility is to use what God has given me to help his people in need.”Millard Fuller (1935-2009)

Labels: , , , , ,