Interview with Brennan Carter, High School Volunteer

Just recently, our Community Engagement Manager, Acacia Squires, interviewed Brennan Carter. Brennan is a junior at Claremont High School and recently volunteered with us through the Collegiate Challenge program. 


Here's what he had to say about how he found out about Habitat for Humanity of Greater L.A. , his experience volunteering and what he plans to do after high school:


Interview with Brennan Carter

Claremont High School Junior, Collegiate Challenge participant 2010

Acacia: Why did you and your group decide to volunteer for Collegiate Challenge at Habitat for Humanity?

Brennan: I am in an IB program (International Baccalaureate) at Claremont High School.  Our core requirements are creativity, action and service.  This project was my attempt at creativity. I thought if I took the lead on planning a project, I could display my creativity.  My teacher suggested a few organizations to look into, and Habitat was one of the names that jumped out at me.  I looked through the website and I thought Collegiate Challenge would be awesome.

A: Are you involved with any other activities outside, or inside of, school?

B: Football, soccer (both school and club teams), the Young Democrats Club, and I tutor my peers.   Is that it?  Yeah, I think that’s it.

A: What’s your favorite memory from this week?

B: Just hanging out with my friends.  The first day was really memorable because it was such grueling work.  We were so tired.  11am felt like it should have been the end of the day.

A: Would you recommend Collegiate Challenge to other high school or college students interested in volunteering?

B: Yes, definitely.  It was an amazing experience.  I think I am going to talk to the next IB class about it and suggest it as an activity.

A: If you had one message to send to the future homeowner of this property you worked on all week, what would it be?

B: I wish I could show them how hard we worked here all week and how much sweat and effort we put into their new home.  I guess the overall message is that, you know, somebody out there cares.  I would hope, too, that one day they could do the same for someone else.

A: What are your plans after high school?

B: I wanted to join AmeriCorps right after school, but my parents told me I should go to college first, or I might never wind up going.  I really want to go to school for Social Justice in law, or business.  After college I’ll definitely join the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps.  When I was a student at Loyola High School I took a course called Moral Theology, which can be translated into social justice.  We went down to Atlanta to protest the School of the Americas, and to New Orleans post Katrina, and I got hooked. 






Labels: , , , , ,