Sylvia Bautista Celebrates 11 Years of Homeownership with Habitat for Humanity

Recently, I was hosting a large volunteer group onsite. We typically have Habitat families come out at lunchtime to speak. Their participation with our groups cement why volunteerism is so vital to Habitat’s cause. Sadly, no families were available on this particular day. It was then I remembered the GEM we had back at our Habitat office in our Homeowner Relations Department. Sylvia Bautista is not only our Homeowner Relations Coordinator but also a Habitat homeowner. She was the perfect person to come out and speak. What I didn’t know is that on the same day she was coming out to site – it was her 11th Anniversary of living in her Habitat home. The timing couldn’t have been more perfect. Below is a note from Sylvia about her experiences with Habitat…

Syvia Bautista with son Christopher

“I’d like to take a minute and tell you a little about my family’s experience. I was a single mother of four children, all under the age of sixteen, when a friend and co-worker gave me a newspaper article to read that said Habitat for Humanity will be building homes in the Los Angeles area. The article explained the process but I was skeptical. I thought, “Yeah right, like I would qualify to buy a home.” But, my friend and co-worker motivated me to apply telling me, “You never know unless you try.” I followed her advice and am now celebrating my 11th Anniversary in my beautiful Habitat home. My kids are succeeding in life thanks to God, Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles and all the volunteers and sponsors. They helped my family and many other families have peace of mind knowing that we can have a nice simple, decent and affordable home to call our own. I strongly believe that when you volunteer you are one step closer to getting into heaven, but it has to come from your heart. And, it’s important to teach your kids that while they strive to reach for the stars, they should also be sure to fill up their hearts not just their wallets.”

Learn how you can apply for homeownership with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles.

Labels: , , , , , ,