Habitat for Humanity’s mission is to eliminate poverty housing around the world by creating affordable housing. We need people to advocate and speak out on behalf of affordable housing in our community and you can help!
You don’t have to be a professional speaker or a Politician all you need is the drive to tell others about issues. See the facts below that you can share with your family, classmates, roommates, co-workers, neighbors, local organization and friends. Organize a time to speak about the need for affordable housing, what is being done and how we all can do more.
Also check out Act! Speak! Build! Week 2008, March 31st – April 6th. The week is a national Habitat for Humanity, student-initiated advocacy program that empowers young people to educate themselves and their communities and move people to social action. Students plan and host events focused on ending substandard housing, targeting youth, community members, and others to raise the social consciousness on issues of substandard housing and to affect change in housing policy. Find out more and sign-up at our website.
For more information, please contact Deborah Lewis.
- Statewide, the affordable housing crisis has gotten worse over the past four years and Proposition 46 funds will run out by December 2006.
- 88% of Angelinos cannot afford the median priced single-family home at $540,000.
Los Angeles has the largest homeless population in the nation - roughly 48,000 on any given night though some estimate it as significantly larger.
- Los Angeles ranks 199th out of 199 American cities in housing affordability.
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles serves 112 cities and unincorporated areas in Los Angeles County including 70 communities in the City of Los Angeles.
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles has built over 230 homes since our founding in 1990.
- We partner with families who earn 30-80% of the area median income.
- Habitat homes are built through volunteer labor, donated materials, professional services and land to keep our costs low.
- Habitat homes are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with affordable, no-interest loans.
- Habitat for Humanity is the 19th homebuilder and #1 non-profit homebuilder in the United States.
Read ALL the ways you can make a difference with Habitat:
Tip #1: Go Shopping Tip #2: Have a Yard Sale Tip #3: Write a Check Tip #4: Donate a Vehicle Tip #5: Donate Building Materials Tip #6: A Brush with Kindness Tip #7: Donate to our Home Store Tip #8: Sell on eBay Tip#9: Creative Fundraising Tip #10: Corporate Community Relations Tip #11: Become a Family Mentor Tip #12: Donate Land Tip #13: Give Professional Skills
Labels: act, advocate, affordable housing, building a greater, habitat greater los angeles, homebuilder, median home, proposition 46, single-family home, speak, youth organization